A Review of Sierra Leone's Mines and Minerals Act
With the support of Oxfam, the Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment reviewed select provisions in the Mines and Minerals Act 2009 and corresponding policy statements from the Minerals Policy 2018 to provide recommendations for how to best align the anticipated new mining law with international best practice. The 2009 law was reviewed with a focus on the following topics:
• Fiscal regime;
• Climate change;
• Access to and use of land;
• Community consultations and participation;
• Human rights; and
• Community development agreements.
The policy brief aims to support the Government of Sierra Leone in the ongoing law reform process.
- 10-A-Review-of-Sierra-Leones-Mines-and-Minerals-Act.pdf application/pdf 3.15 MB Download File
More About This Work
- Center for Sustainable Development, Earth Institute, Columbia University
- Published Here
- November 9, 2020