IP Multicast Fault Recovery in PIM over OSPF
- IP Multicast Fault Recovery in PIM over OSPF
- Wang, Xin
Schulzrinne, Henning G.
- Computer Science
- Persistent URL:
- Columbia University Computer Science Technical Reports
- Part Number:
- Department of Computer Science, Columbia University
- Publisher Location:
- New York
- Relatively little attention has been given to understanding the fault recovery characteristics and performance tuning of native IP multicast networks. This paper focuses on the interaction of the component protocols to understand their behavior in network failure and recovery scenarios. We consider a multicast environment based on the Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) routing protocol, the Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) and the Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) protocol. Analytical models are presented to describe the interplay of all of these protocols in various multicast channel recovery scenarios. Quantitative results for the recovery time of IP multicast channels are given as references for network configurations, and protocol development. Simulation models are developed using the OPNET simulation tool to measure the fault recovery time and the associated protocol control overhead, and study the influence of important protocol parameters. A testbed with five Cisco routers is configured with PIM, OSPF, and IGMP to measure the multicast channel failure and recovery times for a variety of different link and router failures. In general, the failure recovery is found to be light-weight in terms of control overhead and recovery time. Failure recovery time in a WAN is found to be dominated by the unicast protocol recovery process. Failure recovery in a LAN is more complex, and strongly influenced by protocol interactions and implementation specifics. Suggestions for improvement of the failure recovery time via protocol enhancements, parameter tuning, and network configuration are provided.
- Computer science
- Item views
text | xml
- Suggested Citation:
- Xin Wang, Chienming Yu, Henning G. Schulzrinne, Paul Stirpe, Wei Wu, 2000, IP Multicast Fault Recovery in PIM over OSPF, Columbia University Academic Commons, https://doi.org/10.7916/D8GQ78Z4.