A Contextualized Intervention for Community College Developmental Reading and Writing Students
Dolores Perin; Rachel Julia Hare Bork; Stephen T. Peverly; Linda H. Mason; Megan Vaselewski
- A Contextualized Intervention for Community College Developmental Reading and Writing Students
Bork, Rachel Julia Hare
Peverly, Stephen T.
Mason, Linda H.
- Working papers
- Community College Research Center
- Permanent URL:
- CCRC Working Paper
- Part Number:
- Community College Research Center, Teachers College, Columbia University
- Publisher Location:
- New York
- This paper provides evidence on the potential efficacy of an approach to helping students develop an important academic skill, written summarization. In two experiments, a contextualized intervention was administered to developmental reading and writing students in two community colleges. The intervention was a 10-week curricular supplement that emphasized written summarization, as well as vocabulary knowledge, question generation, reading comprehension, and persuasive writing. The findings of this study suggest that the intervention had utility for academically underprepared postsecondary students.
- Community college education
- Item views: