Circum-Mediterranean Neogene (Miocene and Pliocene) marine-continental chronologic correlations of European mammal units
F. F. Steininger; William A. Berggren; Dennis V. Kent; Raymond L. Bernor; S. Sen; J. Agusti
- Circum-Mediterranean Neogene (Miocene and Pliocene) marine-continental chronologic correlations of European mammal units
Steininger, F. F.
Berggren, William A.
Kent, Dennis V.
Bernor, Raymond L.
- Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
- Permanent URL:
- Book/Journal Title:
- The Evolution of Western Eurasian Neogene Mammal Faunas
- Book Author:
- Bernor, Raymond L.
- Columbia University Press
- Publisher Location:
- New York
- This paper is an update of Steininger et al. 1989. It is mainly concerned with the chronologic correlation of the Miocene and Pliocene European Mammal Biozonations, the "European Neogene Mammal Faunal Zones" (MN zones, for discussion see Steininger et al. 1989) and the "European Mammal Faunal Units" (Agenic, Orleanic, etc., of Fahlbusch 1975; for discussion see Steininger et al. 1989), with the new Geomagnetic Polarity Time Scale (Cande and Kent 1992; in press) and the revised Geomagnetic Polarity Time Scale, Cenozoic Geochronology, Chronostratigraphy, and Planktonic Foraminifera Zonation (Berggren et al., in press). Within the last years rapid progress has been made in dating mammal-bearing Miocene and Pliocene sediments, either by radioisotopic dating (see also Swisher et al., this volume) and/or by geomagnetic dating (see also the following articles in this volume: Bernor et al.; Kappelman et al.: Sen; and Woodburne et al.). These recent results have been incorporated into this new data base. For a more recent compilation of the Pleistocene record see Agusti 1991 and Agusti et al. 1987.
- Item views: