Hate Speech, Dignity, and the Westboro Baptist Church
- Hate Speech, Dignity, and the Westboro Baptist Church
- DiNizio, Lola
- Thesis Advisor(s):
- Schiffrin, Anya M.
- M.A., Columbia University
- Institute for the Study of Human Rights
- Persistent URL:
- This thesis analyzes America’s approach to free speech and hate speech in comparison to international law. Focusing on 2011 Supreme Court case Snyder v. Phelps, I will discuss how the court’s approach to expression fails to comply with standard human rights norms. I will compare domestic and international approaches to hate speech, as well the harms of such expression to dignity. Additionally, I will trace the history of the Westboro Baptist Church, American definitions of hate speech, and the development of international law approaches to expression.
- Human rights
Freedom of speech
Westboro Baptist Church (Topeka, Kan.)
- Item views
text | xml
- Suggested Citation:
- Lola DiNizio, 2017, Hate Speech, Dignity, and the Westboro Baptist Church, Columbia University Academic Commons, https://doi.org/10.7916/D8NP3MXH.