Grandet: A Unified, Economical Object Store for Web Applications
- Grandet: A Unified, Economical Object Store for Web Applications
- Tang, Yang
- Computer Science
- Persistent URL:
- Columbia University Computer Science Technical Reports
- Part Number:
- Department of Computer Science, Columbia University
- Publisher Location:
- New York
- Web applications are getting ubiquitous every day because they offer many useful services to consumers and businesses. Many of these web applications are quite storage-intensive. Cloud computing offers attractive and economical choices for meeting their storage needs. Unfortunately, it remains challenging for developers to best leverage them to minimize cost. This paper presents Grandet, a storage system that greatly reduces storage cost for web applications deployed in the cloud. Grandet provides both a key-value interface and a file system interface, supporting a broad spectrum of web applications. Under the hood, it supports multiple heterogeneous stores, and unifies them by placing each data object at the store deemed most economical. We implemented Grandet on Amazon Web Services and evaluated Grandet on a diverse set of four popular open-source web applications. Our results show that Grandet reduces their cost by an average of 42.4%, and it is fast, scalable, and easy to use. The source code of Grandet is at http://columbia.github.io/grandet.
- Computer science
- Item views
text | xml
- Suggested Citation:
- Yang Tang, Gang Hu, Xinhao Yuan, Lingmei Weng, Junfeng Yang, 2016, Grandet: A Unified, Economical Object Store for Web Applications, Columbia University Academic Commons, https://doi.org/10.7916/D8319WCD.