Chains of Affection: The Structure of Adolescent Romantic and Sexual Networks
- Chains of Affection: The Structure of Adolescent Romantic and Sexual Networks
- Bearman, Peter Shawn
- Persistent URL:
- Book/Journal Title:
- American Journal of Sociology
- University of Chicago Press
- This article describes the structure of the adolescent romantic and
sexual network in a population of over 800 adolescents residing in
a midsized town in the midwestern United States. Precise images
and measures of network structure are derived from reports of relationships
that occurred over a period of 18 months between 1993
and 1995. The study offers a comparison of the structural characteristics
of the observed network to simulated networks conditioned
on the distribution of ties; the observed structure reveals networks
characterized by longer contact chains and fewer cycles than expected.
This article identifies the micromechanisms that generate
networks with structural features similar to the observed network.
Implications for disease transmission dynamics and social policy are
- Publisher DOI:
- Item views
text | xml
- Suggested Citation:
- Peter Shawn Bearman, James Moody, Katherine Stovel, 2004, Chains of Affection: The Structure of Adolescent Romantic and Sexual Networks, Columbia University Academic Commons, https://doi.org/10.7916/D8BK1B5R.