City of Ambition: Franklin Roosevelt, Fiorello La Guardia, and the Making of New Deal New York
- City of Ambition: Franklin Roosevelt, Fiorello La Guardia, and the Making of New Deal New York
- Williams, Mason
- Thesis Advisor(s):
- Brinkley, Alan
- Persistent URL:
- Geographic Area:
- New York (State)--New York
- Ph.D., Columbia University.
- This dissertation offers a new account of New York City's politics and government in the 1930s and 1940s. Focusing on the development of the functions and capacities of the municipal state, it examines three sets of interrelated political changes: the triumph of "municipal reform" over the institutions and practices of the Tammany Hall political machine and its outer-borough counterparts; the incorporation of hundreds of thousands of new voters into the electorate and into urban political life more broadly; and the development of an ambitious and capacious public sector--what Joshua Freeman has recently described as a "social democratic polity." It places these developments within the context of the national New Deal, showing how national officials, responding to the limitations of the American central state, utilized the planning and operational capacities of local governments to meet their own imperatives; and how national initiatives fed back into subnational politics, redrawing the bounds of what was possible in local government as well as altering the strength and orientation of local political organizations. The dissertation thus seeks not only to provide a more robust account of this crucial passage in the political history of America's largest city, but also to shed new light on the history of the national New Deal--in particular, its relation to the urban social reform movements of the Progressive Era, the long-term effects of short-lived programs such as work relief and price control, and the roles of federalism and localism in New Deal statecraft.
New Deal (1933-1939)
Central-local government relations
Local government--Citizen participation
- Item views
text | xml
- Suggested Citation:
- Mason Williams, 2012, City of Ambition: Franklin Roosevelt, Fiorello La Guardia, and the Making of New Deal New York, Columbia University Academic Commons, http://hdl.handle.net/10022/AC:P:15170.