[A Report on the Future of Statistics]: Comment
- [A Report on the Future of Statistics]: Comment
- Madigan, David B.
- Persistent URL:
- Book/Journal Title:
- Statistical Science
- Institute of Mathematical Statistics
- "Extraordinary opportunities for statistical ideas and for statisticians now present themselves. However, to take advantage of the opportunities, statistics has to change the way in which it recruits and trains students. Statistics has primarily focused on squeezing the maximum amount of information out of limited data. This paradigm is rapidly diminishing in importance and statistics education finds itself out of step with reality. The problems begin at the high school and undergraduate levels, where the standard course includes a narrow set of pre-computing-era topics. At the graduate level, the typical statistics program suffers from the same problem..." -- page 408
- Mathematics--Study and teaching
- Item views
text | xml
- Suggested Citation:
- David B. Madigan, Werner Stuetzle, 2004, [A Report on the Future of Statistics]: Comment, Columbia University Academic Commons, https://doi.org/10.7916/D8D50K3V.