Profitability of Product Bundling
- Profitability of Product Bundling
- Chen, Yongmin
Riordan, Michael H.
- Working papers
- Persistent URL:
- Department of Economics Discussion Papers
- Part Number:
- Revision of Discussion Paper no. 1011-02.
- Department of Economics, Columbia University
- Publisher Location:
- New York
- Using copulas to model the stochastic dependence of values, this paper establishes new general conditions on the profitability of product bundling. A multiproduct monopolist generally achieves higher profit from mixed bundling than from separate selling if consumer values for two products are negatively dependent, independent, or have limited positive dependence. With more than two goods, the same conditions are sufficient for an optimal monopoly selling scheme to include a bundle of at least two products. The profitability of monopoly bundling also extends to situations where a multiproduct firm competes with a single-product rival.
- Economic theory
- Item views
text | xml
- Suggested Citation:
- Yongmin Chen, Michael H. Riordan, 2012, Profitability of Product Bundling, Columbia University Academic Commons, http://hdl.handle.net/10022/AC:P:12873.