Revisiting Urban Planning in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Revisiting Urban Planning in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Irazabal Zurita, Clara E.
- Urban Planning
- Persistent URL:
- Geographic Area:
- Latin America
- United Nations Human Settlements Programme
- Publisher Location:
- This regional study reviews urban planning conditions and trends in Latin America and the Caribbean. It is one of eight regional studies that will serve as inputs into the various chapters of the 2009 Global Report on Human Settlements. The report is organized into nine chapters. Chapter 1 identifies recent fundamental challenges faced by urban areas in the region. Chapter 2 describes the varying nature of the urban context within which planning takes place, with emphasis on the socio-spatial issues which are of concern to urban planning. Chapter 3 reviews the emergence of contemporary or modern urban planning. A discussion of the nature of the institutional and regulatory framework for urban planning is then provided in Chapter 4. Chapter 5 examines the extent to which the planning process is inclusive of relevant stakeholders and communities (participatory/collaborative planning). Chapter 6 considers the role of urban planning in promoting sustainable urban development. An assessment of planning responses to informality in cities including the emergence of related processes (peri-urbanization, urban sprawl, metropolitanization and rural densification) is undertaken in Chapter 7. In Chapter 8, the effects of infrastructure provision on the spatial structure of cities and the implications for planning are reviewed. Chapter 9 discusses the extent to which monitoring and evaluation of urban plans is an integral part of planning processes. Lastly, the final Chapter focuses on the trends in planning education within the region.
- City planning
- Item views
text | xml
- Suggested Citation:
- Clara E. Irazabal Zurita, 2009, Revisiting Urban Planning in Latin America and the Caribbean, Columbia University Academic Commons, https://doi.org/10.7916/D85M6BHX.