Globalization, Sovereignty, and Democracy
- Globalization, Sovereignty, and Democracy
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N.
- Persistent URL:
- Department of Economics Discussion Papers
- Part Number:
- March 1995
- Department of Economics, Columbia University
- Publisher Location:
- New York
- "Like everyone else, economists like to break out of the narrowness of
their discipline and speculate on a larger theme, painting on a bigger canvas.
Like John Kenneth Galbraith, they may even make money while having fun. In
the process, they may even illuminate and inform, doing good while doing well.
The task I have been assigned is an intellectually challenging one: does
the growing globalization of the world economy and the presumed growth then
in interdependence promise to constrain national sovereignty; and, does it
equally threaten to compromise democratic accountability within nation states?"
- Item views
text | xml
- Suggested Citation:
- Jagdish N. Bhagwati, 1995, Globalization, Sovereignty, and Democracy, Columbia University Academic Commons, https://doi.org/10.7916/D8N304FF.