Coseismic sediment deformation during the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake
- Coseismic sediment deformation during the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake
- Borja, Ronaldo I.
- Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics
- Persistent URL:
- Book/Journal Title:
- Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth
- Inelastic horizontal sediment deformation from the MS 7.1, 17 October 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake has been estimated to be on the order of 20 cm at a site in Gilroy, California, about 32 km east of the epicenter. This estimate was based on combined deterministic-stochastic simulations using ground motion data and sediment properties measured from in situ seismic tests and laboratory tests on cored sediment samples of up to 170 m deep. The calculated deformation is comparable to measured horizontal coseismic displacements at various stations in the Santa Cruz network, suggesting that previously back-figured fault rupture mechanisms may have been influenced by the coseismic sediment deformation.
- Publisher DOI:
- Item views
text | xml
- Suggested Citation:
- Ronaldo I. Borja, WaiChing Sun, 2008, Coseismic sediment deformation during the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, Columbia University Academic Commons, http://dx.doi.org/10.7916/D87P8WFQ.