QUALITYstarsNY: Field Test Evaluation Report
- QUALITYstarsNY: Field Test Evaluation Report
- Stephens, Samuel A.
Kreader, J. Lee
McCabe, Lisa A.
- National Center for Children in Poverty
- Persistent URL:
- Columbia University. National Center for Children in Poverty, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University
- Publisher Location:
- New York
- QUALITYstarsNY is New York State's Quality Rating and Improvement System (QRIS). The current QUALITYstarsNY standards were developed to apply to programs and providers under the regulation of one of New York's public agencies â€” the State Office of Children and Family Services, the State Department of Education, or the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Like all QRIS, QUALITYstarsNY includes standards for programs and providers based on what is known from research and best practices, procedures for monitoring and accountability, incentives and outreach to encourage participation by programs and providers, ongoing support to help them attain and sustain higher quality of care, and marketing and education with parents to help them use the system in considering care and early education options. QUALITYstarsNY has four categories of standards â€” Learning Environment; Family Engagement; Qualifications and Experience; and Leadership and Management. Participating programs and providers can be assigned up to 100 points total. The number of points earned will determine a site's placement in the five-star level system. Two sets of standards were available for the field test, one for center-based programs and one for family/group family child care homes. During the field test, slight modifications were made to accommodate the inclusion of early childhood programs in public schools. Thirteen (13) locations across New York State were designated as field test communities, reflecting the demographic and geographic diversity of the state.
- Individual and family studies
- Item views
text | xml
- Suggested Citation:
- Samuel A. Stephens, J. Lee Kreader, Sheila Smith, Lisa A. McCabe, 2011, QUALITYstarsNY: Field Test Evaluation Report, Columbia University Academic Commons, http://hdl.handle.net/10022/AC:P:10744.