Public history and the production of the "culture of Shiraz"
- Public history and the production of the "culture of Shiraz"
- Manoukian, Setrag
- Italian Academy
- Persistent URL:
- Italian Academy Fellows' Seminar Working Papers
- Geographic Area:
- Middle East
- Italian Academy for Advanced Studies in America, Columbia University
- Publisher Location:
- New York
- The project examines the production of historical knowledge in contemporary Shiraz, focusing on
several "cultural activities" such as restorations, publications and events. Discussing the
strategies of different state and municipal institutions as well as the particular expressive
modalities through which the past is constructed and inscribed on urban space, I underlie the
conflicted character of these dynamics and argue that the production of public history in Iran is
best understood as a series of interventions instituting a system of dispersion rather than the
reworking of a stable national imagination.
- Islamic civilization
Islam--Customs and practices
- Item views
text | xml
- Suggested Citation:
- Setrag Manoukian, 2003, Public history and the production of the "culture of Shiraz", Columbia University Academic Commons, https://doi.org/10.7916/D8HT2VP1.