Time to Rethink Sovereign Bankruptcy: A New Role for the IMF?
- Time to Rethink Sovereign Bankruptcy: A New Role for the IMF?
- Bolton, Patrick
Skeel, David A.
- Working papers
Initiative for Policy Dialogue
- Persistent URL:
- Initiative for Policy Dialogue Working Paper Series
- Initiative for Policy Dialogue
- Publisher Location:
- New York
- This paper discusses the benefits and risks that financial globalization entails for developing countries. Financial globalization can lead to large benefits, particularly to the development of the financial system. But financial globalization can also come with crises and contagion. The net effect of financial globalization is likely positive in the long run, with risks being more prevalent right after countries liberalize. So far, only some countries, sectors, and firms have taken advantage of globalization. As financial systems turn global, governments lose policy instruments, so there is an increasing scope for some form of international financial policy cooperation.
- Item views
text | xml
- Suggested Citation:
- Patrick Bolton, David A. Skeel, 2008, Time to Rethink Sovereign Bankruptcy: A New Role for the IMF?, Columbia University Academic Commons, http://hdl.handle.net/10022/AC:P:8455.