Vertical integration, exclusive dealing, and ex post cartelization
- Vertical integration, exclusive dealing, and ex post cartelization
- Chen, Yongmin
Riordan, Michael H.
- Persistent URL:
- Department of Economics Discussion Papers
- Part Number:
- December 2003
- Department of Economics, Columbia University
- Publisher Location:
- New York
- A vertically integrated firm has the incentive and ability to use exclusive contracts to foreclose an equally efficient upstream competitor and to effect a cartelization of the downstream industry. Its ability to do so may be limited when downstream firms are heterogeneous and supply contracts are not contingent on uncertain market conditions. The extent of cartelization depends on the degree of downstream market concentration and on the degree to which downstream competition is localized.
- Item views
text | xml
- Suggested Citation:
- Yongmin Chen, Michael H. Riordan, 2003, Vertical integration, exclusive dealing, and ex post cartelization, Columbia University Academic Commons, https://doi.org/10.7916/D89K4PGR.