Application Layer Feedback-based SIP Server Overload Control
- Application Layer Feedback-based SIP Server Overload Control
- Shen, Charles
Schulzrinne, Henning G.
- Computer Science
- Persistent URL:
- Columbia University Computer Science Technical Reports
- Part Number:
- Department of Computer Science, Columbia University
- Publisher Location:
- New York
- A SIP server may be overloaded by emergency-induced call volume, "American Idol" style flash crowd effects or denial of service attacks. The SIP server overload problem is interesting especially because the costs of serving or rejecting a SIP session can be similar. For this reason, the built-in SIP overload control mechanism based on generating rejection messages cannot prevent the server from entering congestion collapse under heavy load. The SIP overload problem calls for a pushback control solution in which the potentially overloaded receiving server may notify its upstream sending servers to have them send only the amount of load within the receiving server's processing capacity. The pushback framework can be achieved by either a rate-based feedback or a window-based feedback. The centerpiece of the feedback mechanism is the algorithm used to generate load regulation information. We propose three new window-based feedback algorithms and evaluate them together with two existing rate-based feedback algorithms. We compare the different algorithms in terms of the number of tuning parameters and performance under both steady and variable load. Furthermore, we identify two categories of fairness requirements for SIP overload control, namely, user-centric and provider-centric fairness. With the introduction of a new double-feed SIP overload control architecture, we show how the algorithms meet those fairness criteria.
- Computer science
- Item views
text | xml
- Suggested Citation:
- Charles Shen, Henning G. Schulzrinne, Erich Nahum, 2008, Application Layer Feedback-based SIP Server Overload Control, Columbia University Academic Commons, https://doi.org/10.7916/D8VM4M4R.