Presence Traffic Optimization Techniques
- Presence Traffic Optimization Techniques
- Singh, Vishal
Schulzrinne, Henning G.
- Technical reports
- Computer Science
- Persistent URL:
- Columbia University Computer Science Technical Reports
- Part Number:
- Department of Computer Science, Columbia University
- Publisher Location:
- New York
- With the growth of presence-based services, it is important to provision the network to support high traffic and load generated by presence services. Presence event distribution systems amplify a single incoming PUBLISH message into possibly numerous outgoing NOTIFY messages from the server. This can increase the network load on inter-domain links and can potentially disrupt other QoS-sensitive applications. In this document, we present existing as well as new techniques that can be used to reduce presence traffic both in inter-domain and intra-domain scenarios. Specifically, we propose two new techniques: sending common NOTIFY for multiple watchers and batched notifications. We also propose some generic heuristics that can be used to reduce network traffic due to presence.
- Computer science
- Item views
text | xml
- Suggested Citation:
- Vishal Singh, Henning G. Schulzrinne, Markus Isomaki, Piotr Boni, 2006, Presence Traffic Optimization Techniques, Columbia University Academic Commons, http://hdl.handle.net/10022/AC:P:29478.