US Trade Policy: Successes and Failures
- US Trade Policy: Successes and Failures
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N.
- Persistent URL:
- Department of Economics Discussion Papers
- Part Number:
- February 1995
- Department of Economics, Columbia University
- Publisher Location:
- New York
- This paper elaborates on remarks made at the American Economic
Association meetings, January 1995, in Washington D.C., at a Panel Discussion
on the Clinton administration's trade policy. The Panel included two highly
distinguished trade experts: the Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers,
Laura Tyson, and Anne Krueger, the President-elect of the American Economic
Association; and Rudiger Dornbusch, the well known macroeconomist. I have
used this occasion to raise some uncommon questions and to provide a frank
and at times critical commentary on the current trends in US trade policy
precisely because we have correctly applauded the policy because of its freetrade
thrust while ignoring its downside which requires correction.
- Item views
text | xml
- Suggested Citation:
- Jagdish N. Bhagwati, 1995, US Trade Policy: Successes and Failures, Columbia University Academic Commons, https://doi.org/10.7916/D81C24CG.