Threats to the world Trading System: Income Distribution and the selfish Hegemon
- Threats to the world Trading System: Income Distribution and the selfish Hegemon
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N.
- Persistent URL:
- Department of Economics Discussion Papers
- Part Number:
- June 1994.
- Department of Economics, Columbia University
- Publisher Location:
- New York
- "The Uruguay Round is closing this week after a marathon of
negotiations stretching well over seven years; so the timing of this
Panel is exquisite from my viewpoint. The ceremony, besides, is in
Marrakesh, an exotic place that sets our minds racing with thoughts
of Casablanca, Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman. Indeed, one
can imagine a movie being made of this historic occasion with Peter
Ustinov cast as Peter Sutherland, the brilliant and portly new
Director General of the GATT who finally brought the Round to
successful conclusion, Dustin Hoffman playing our own inimitable
Mickey Kantor, and perhaps Al Pacino as the elegant and suave Sir
Leon Brittan of the European Union: the three principal players in the
closing days of the Round."
- Item views
text | xml
- Suggested Citation:
- Jagdish N. Bhagwati, 1994, Threats to the world Trading System: Income Distribution and the selfish Hegemon, Columbia University Academic Commons, https://doi.org/10.7916/D880594X.