- The urgency of the development of CO2 capture from ambient air
Lackner, Klaus S.
Matter, Juerg M.
Van Der Zwaan, Bob
- Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
- Permanent URL:
- Book/Journal Title:
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America
- Supplementary data available at http://hdl.handle.net/AC:P:14702.
- CO2 capture and storage (CCS) has the potential to develop into an important tool to address climate change. Given society’s present reliance on fossil fuels, widespread adoption of CCS appears indispensable for meeting stringent climate targets. We argue that for conventional CCS to become a successful climate mitigation technology—which by necessity has to operate on a large scale—it may need to be complemented with air capture, removing CO2 directly from the atmosphere. Air capture of CO2 could act as insurance against CO2 leaking from storage and furthermore may provide an option for dealing with emissions from mobile dispersed sources such as automobiles and airplanes.
- Publisher DOI:
- Item views: